Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rewards, finally.

While teaching is often considered a thankless career there are many moments in which you can sit back and think to yourself "this is why I do it."  Unfortunately, those moments are often clouded by the ever present struggle of trying to provide a fix for the educational inequities that my students face on a daily basis.  My work is never done.  There is always something more I could do, another way to present, another phone call to make.  Exhaustion often sets in before the to-do list is completed and on the rare occasion that the weekend is free of work you often find yourself dreaming about the students and the tasks in the coming week.

Because of this tiring cycle it is hard to sit back and learn to appreciate yourself for what you have accomplished.  Teaching is humbling.  How can I toot my own horn knowing in full that my students are still not where they need, and deserve, to be?  However, since breaking the news to my student I have a new found perspective on my work over the last 5 years.  This perspective did not come from my own desire to be appreciated, but rather from a series of letters written to me during class last Friday.  Every week my students spend 5 or 10 minutes writing a quick letter to me.  This is an opportunity for them to tell me anything they want to get out.  Some students tell me they are simply going to play video games all weekend.  Some reflect on their week and if they accomplished their weekly goal.  Some tell me their deepest, darkest secrets in hopes that I can provide some guidance.  Others simply tell me they have nothing to write about.  It is through these letters that I have gotten to know my students and figure out what makes them tick.  However, this week was different.  This week most of them reflected on the news that I gave them and had some amazing words to share.  This is one of the few times I have been able to truly sit back, relax, and enjoy the rewards that are presented by my students.  Below, I have chosen to display some of my favorite letters from Friday's assignment.  The letters are written verbatim so any grammar or spelling errors are intentional.

"Dear Mr. C,
It really sucks that you are leaving from Tech.  You have been my favorite teacher this whole school year, and you have been the one I felt motivated me to come to school everyday.  You make me feel everyday I should want to come to school, graduate, and go to college to make something out of myself.  I feel that I get more support from you when I do good in school then I do from my family.  I just want to say to you that you are a wonderful teacher, you do a wonderful job at teaching us, and I thank you so much for being here and being the wonderful person that you are.  I have learned so much from you this year!  Thank you Mr. C.  I hope you believe in yourself as I believe in you.  I will miss you alot.  I am thankful for having you this school year.  Love you Mr. Cervantes.  May I saw that you are the best and I will miss you alot.  Thanks for being here."

"Dear Mr. Cervantes this week was very "exciting", and I am going to miss you so much.  I hope your life is happy and comfortable in Boston.  Be encouraged!  Mr. C and keep your head up"

"Dear Mr. C, I'm really sad that you are leaving us next year.  I hope you have a nice life in Boston.  Hope you think about me alot."

"Dear Mr. C,
I am so sad that you are leaving this year.  You were one of my favorite teachers.  You taught me alot this year that I would've probably never knew.  I love you Mr. Cervantes <3."

"Dear Mr. C,
After you told us that your moving I'm really going to miss you :(.  You ARE my best teacher at tech and I'm really dissapointed that its you leaving but I do understand your reasons."

"Dear Mr. C,
You really care about us and I respect your decision.  I hope you have a nice life in Boston!"

"Dear Mr. C,
This week was fine.  I was very sad that you told us that your leaving but I'm also happy that your doing something for yourself and to better your life! :) :).  So yea good luck!! and congrats on everything!!"

"Dear Mr. Cervantes:
this week was so long I was sick & then you give bad news.  I was really upset that your leaving.  even though my mom doesn't know you I talked about you so much to her & she feels like your leaving her too, but I'm happy we got to spend some emotional & enemotional times together. SMH!"

"Man, Mr. C it will suck like just suck when you leave.  No more coming up here to visit because your not here.  Your really gonna be missed.  I'll find you on facebook.  I wish you the best Mr. C.  Hope you have fun out there in Boston."

"Dear Mr. C,
I'm sad that you're going to leave, but i want you to be happy :)  I hope that you'll never forget about this class b/c we sure will miss you."

"Dear Mr. C,
I just wanted to let you know that I'm very upset you have to leave this school/community and move to Boston.  I wish their was a way you wouldn't have to leave.  I'm going to miss you Mr. C, and I know its so hard to say goodbye to a students like YA BOI  (LOL)"

"Mr C i feel like you been a great teacher and friend to me this year.  i know it hard for you to leave us but its what you need to do.  All i wont from you is to come back and check up on me and tell me about your life.  i going to miss you old man"

"Dear Mr. C -
Can I move in with you when you go to Boston?  Can you adopt me?  I think I should be your personal stylist.  I can make you look super duper kool with a capital "K" N E ways how's life? ALRIGHT IM GONE peace, love, & tacos"

They are so amazing.  I've been getting lots of visitors since the news is spreading.  I think tomorrow I will count how many students come to give me a hug.  It seems to be increasing exponentially as the news spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment